05 March 2007

Salvation in Leather?


I read this great article on Slate (sent to me by my friend Jake) about the recent Fall 2007 Anne Klein show in New York. Yes, I know - "Anne Klein?" you're thinking, "Isn't that the basic wardrobe of midwestern secretaries with crispy hair and framed cat pictures on their desks?" Well, yes. However, this season marks the coming out of Isabel Toledo, who was recently appointed creative director and made a name for herself previously with her experimental, not-quite-wearable designs.

The Slate article touts Toledo as ushering in a new era of American sportswear. Their stance is that, while European designers have been showing fantastically creative collections in Paris and Milan, American designers have been lacking in creativity and not doing anything to update the sportswear that made American fashion big in the first place. Until now. And, surprise of surprises, the innovation is coming from Anne Klein .

The garment that embodies this newfound spirit of innovation is the hooded leather stadium coat shown above. It apparently is cut from a huge piece of leather - similar to the way they cut sails. How effing fabulous is that? I just have this picture in my head of little seamstresses in a wearhouse crawling all over this HUGE slab of leather cutting out pieces using complex geometric equations. I want to be buried in this coat. If I could only have one piece of clothing for the rest of my life, I think I would choose this coat (though it might get hot during the summer).

I'm not really sure what I want to say about all this besides the fact that this coat rocks. I'm really surprised that something of this caliber came from Anne Klein which, let's be honest, is just one step above Casual Corner. Even though I think it's safe to say that this coat won't be sold at your everyday Anne Klein store in your everyday suburban strip mall, it's still pretty cool. I would like to see mid-range retailers doing stuff like this. I seriously think that most American fashion has been lacking in creativity lately and this makes me feel a little hopeful.

I was also really surprised to learn about the hey day of Anne Klein. I had no idea that it was so trendy and cool back in the day. I mean, I guess it's not that big of a surprise to me - look at those frumpy Laura Ashley clothes that were HUGE way back when. I'm really glad that Anne Klein is trying to get back to that. I think everyone else should take a cue from them and stop settling for just commercial. I'm all for garments being able to sell, but clothing can be so much more fun! So, kudos to you, Anne Klein. I'm glad to see you moving away from sensible seperates and pleated pantsuits and trying something new!

No comments: